A-Devils sign Merrill to ATO
The Albany Devils have signed defenseman Jon Merrill to an amateur tryout agreement.
Merrill, 21, was drafted in the second round (38th overall) by New Jersey during the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He joins the AHL Devils after appearing in 82 games, spanning three seasons, at the University of Michigan. As a Wolverine, he registered 11 goals and 36 assists for 47 points and a plus-25 rating. This season, the left-shooting defenseman posted two goals and nine assists for 11 points and a plus-3 rating.
During his time at Michigan, the Wolverines played in the 2011 NCAA championship game and appeared in the 2012 NCAA Midwest Regional. As a freshman, Merrill was named to NCAA All-Frozen Four Team, the All-U.S. College Hockey Online Second Team and the Inside College Hockey All-Freshman Team. Additionally, he was a finalist for CCHA Rookie of the Year, Best Offensive Defenseman and Best Defensive Defenseman.
Merrill, who is 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds, skated with the United States Development Program between 2008-10 and represented Team USA at the 2011 and 2012 World Junior Championship. Additionally, he competed at the 2009 and the 2010 World Under-18 Championship, winning gold the first year.
- Panik attack gives Crunch OT win
- Arcobello's hat trick pulls Barons level
- Hellberg shuts door on Stars to even series
- Falcons pull out overtime win in Game 1
- Kolarik scores twice as Pens drop Sens
- Great Scott! Four-goal game boosts Marlies
- Stars edge Milwaukee in overtime
- Brody Sutter nets pair as Checkers win in OT