Amerks prevail in Frozen Frontier
The Rochester Americans hosted the sixth outdoor game in AHL history on Friday night, and a standing-room-only crowd at Frontier Field were treated to a thrilling finish -- and a big win for the home team.
Mike Zigomanis, Johan Larsson and Matt Ellis scored on the Amerks' last three shootout attempts to erase a 2-0 deficit and send Rochester to a 5-4 win over the Lake Erie Monsters in the "Frozen Frontier" before 11,015 fans.
The Amerks also came back in regulation, overcoming a 3-1 deficit to take a 4-3 lead before Lake Erie tied the game in the final second of the third period.
Ellis and Jerome Gauthier-Leduc recorded a goal and an assist for Rochester, which also got goals from Phil Varone and Colton Gillies.
Matt Hunwick scored twice, Mark Olver notched a goal and two assists and Andrew Agozzino picked up three assists for the Monsters.
The broadcast of the game will be re-aired Saturday at noon ET on NHL Network in the United States.
- Wolf Pack claim Hensick off waivers
- Albert shares dream with family, friends
- AHL Highlights of the Week
- McKenzie another rising star in Dallas system
- Win a trip to the AHL All-Star Classic
- AHL roster named for 2014 All-Star Classic
- Reiter seizing his chance in Bridgeport
- Sabres hire Tim Murray as GM