Andersson named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Grand Rapids Griffins center Joakim Andersson has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Jan. 20, 2013.
Andersson tallied two goals (both game-winners) and five assists for seven points in two games last week for the Midwest Division-leading Griffins.
Returning to the lineup after missing the previous eight games due to injury, Andersson assisted on a pair of goals before breaking a 3-3 tie with 8:32 left in regulation to propel Grand Rapids to a 5-3 win at Charlotte on Thursday night. Then on Saturday, Andersson set a career high with four points with a goal and three assists in the Griffins’ 11-6 victory in Rockford.
A third-round draft pick by the Detroit Red Wings in 2007, Andersson has 10 goals and 14 assists for 24 points in 30 games for the Griffins this season. The 23-year-old native of Munkedal, Sweden, has appeared in 183 AHL games with Grand Rapids, totaling 38 goals and 60 assists for 98 points, as well as five games in the NHL with Detroit.
In recognition of his achievement, Andersson will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Griffins home game.
Also see: Past winners, AHL Player of the Week
- Ness a true team leader for Bridgeport
- Five-point night for Miele powers Griffins over Toronto
- Pouliot off and running with WBS Penguins
- Kostopoulos, Fortunus to captain All-Stars
- AHL Highlights of the Week
- Wolves sign Eager to AHL deal
- Callahan looks 'to be great every night' for Griffins
- Guerin, Weinrich named All-Star honorary captains