Backman signs with Islanders
The New York Islanders, parent club of the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers, announced today that Sean Backman has agreed to terms on a two-way (AHL/NHL), one-year deal.
Backman, 25, scored 23 points (seven goals, 16 assists) in 67 games with the Texas Stars of the American Hockey League during his first professional season last year. He also added four points (two goals, two assists) in five games with the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL.
A native of Cos Cob, Conn., Backman played four seasons of collegiate hockey at Yale University, earning ECAC co-rookie of the year honors as a freshman and captaining the Bulldogs during his senior year in 2009-10. Backman totaled 126 points (77 goals, 49 assists) in 122 career games at Yale.
Prior to attending Yale, he played for the Green Bay Gamblers of the United States Hockey League, scoring 56 points (29 goals, 27 assists) in 57 games.
- Caps ink Camper, Collins, Moore, Ness
- Sabres sign Akeson, Donovan
- Ducks sign Hackett, Mueller, Piskula to deals
- Coyotes sign forward Jeffrey
- Iowa signs Fortunus to two-year deal
- Canadiens ink Barberio, Holloway, Hanley
- Flyers sign Brent, Drewiske, Conner
- Rangers acquire All-Star goalie Hellberg