Barons sign Helmer through '11-'12
The Oklahoma City Barons have signed defenseman Bryan Helmer to a contract for the remainder of the 2010-11 season and the 2011-12 season, Barons general manager Bill Scott announced today.
Originally signed to a tryout by the Barons on Jan. 7, 2011, Helmer has recorded four goals and 10 assists for 14 points in 24 games for Oklahoma City.
Helmer, a 6-1, 210-pounder from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., has played in 1,006 career AHL games during his 18-year professional career, totaling 124 goals and 403 assists for 527 points. He is the league's all-time leader among defensemen in assists, points and games played.
The three-time Calder Cup champion is also the AHL's career leader with 138 career postseason games played.
“We are very excited to have Bryan under contract through next season,” said Scott. “He has brought our team a wealth of experience and leadership since he arrived to Oklahoma City in January. He is a true professional both on and off the ice and exemplifies everything we want in a player as we continue to grow our footprint in the community. As a former NHLer and captain of back-to-back AHL championship teams he will help to develop our younger players and help to give us the experience we need to make our push for the playoffs.”
- Grant hoping to secure Sabres roster spot
- Brossoit determined to find NHL form
- Lagace off to strong start in camp
- Adrian Kempe preparing for a statement season
- From Croatia, Rendulic hopes to make history
- Scherbak is out to earn roster spot in Montreal
- Nathan Lieuwen out to prove how good he can be
- Dell, Grosenick hope to seize opportunity with Sharks