Brody Sutter nets pair as Checkers win in OT
|Game 1 (OT)|
Brody Sutter's second goal of the game gave the Charlotte Checkers a 4-3 overtime win over the Oklahoma City Barons in Game 1 of their first-round series on Friday.
Oklahoma City hosts Game 2 on Saturday night.
Sutter tipped home Brett Bellemore's shot at 3:06 of the extra session as the fourth-seeded Checkers edged the fifth-seeded Barons for their fourth win in five visits to the Cox Convention Center this season.
After Teemu Hartikainen put Oklahoma City on the board first 7:38 into the game, Justin Shugg tied it up early in the second period and Sutter gave the Checkers their first lead at 11:17.
But the Barons grabbed the lead before intermission as C.J. Stretch and Josh Green scored 21 seconds apart late in the middle stanza.
Zach Boychuk's goal 2:32 into the third period drew Charlotte back even.
Rookie Rob Madore made 30 saves in the first playoff appearance of his pro career, earning the win for the Checkers. Yann Danis stopped 24 shots in the loss.
- Crunch hold off Penguins for Game 2 win
- Barons' Scott helping build a winner
- AHL Morning Skate: May 26
- Barons even up series with Griffins
- Penguins double up Crunch in Game 1
- AHL, PHPA to donate to OK relief efforts
- AHL Morning Skate: May 25
- Oklahoma disaster relief: How to help