Capitals sign Bears' Oleksy
The Hershey Bears announced today that defenseman Steve Oleksy has been signed by the Washington Capitals and recalled to the NHL club.
Oleksy, 27, earns his first recall to the National Hockey League after appearing in 55 games with the Bears in 2012-13, tying for third on the team in games played. His 151 penalty minutes lead the team and rank third among AHL defensemen. He has recorded 14 points (two goals, 12 assists), and is coming off of a two-assist effort on Sunday. His point total is one shy of his AHL career best, registered with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers last season.
The 5-foot-11, 186-pound native of Chesterfield, Mich., has appeared in 122 AHL games with Hershey, Bridgeport and Lake Erie, recording 33 points (three goals, 30 assists), 288 penalty minutes and a cumulative plus-21 rating. Oleksy’s plus-16 rating last season ranked tied for third among his Sound Tigers teammates.
Oleksy played his first professional season in 2009-10 following a three-year collegiate career with Lake Superior State (CCHA).
- Meech re-signs with Texas
- Wolves re-sign Harper, add three
- Cassidy keeps Providence pipeline producing
- Checkers sign NHL veteran LaRose
- Mougenel joins Sharks staff
- Warsofsky looking to break through to NHL
- Bulldogs sign defenseman Finley
- Trio of Flyers prospects waiting their turn