Charlotte added to AHL for 2010-11
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … American Hockey League President and CEO David Andrews announced today that the league’s Board of Governors has approved the sale of the franchise owned by Capital District Sports Inc. to Michael Kahn, and the relocation of the franchise from Albany, N.Y., to Charlotte, N.C., to begin play there in the fall of 2010.
In addition, the franchise has signed a new affiliation agreement with the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes.
The Charlotte Checkers will begin play with the 2010-11 AHL season at the Time Warner Cable Arena, the region’s premier sports and entertainment venue located in the heart of the city’s Uptown area.
In operation since 1936, the AHL continues to serve as the top development league for all 30 National Hockey League teams. More than 84 percent of today’s NHL players are American Hockey League graduates, and more than 6.5 million fans per season have attended AHL games across North America since 2001.
- Hoffman pushing for full time spot with Ottawa
- Attitude Czech
- Drouin nets winner in pro debut
- Caps prospect Carrick has bright future
- AHL Highlights of the Week
- Agozzino 'staying hungry' with the Monsters
- Pedan keeping it simple with the Sound Tigers
- Boychuk, Terry help make a point for the 'Canes