Checkers bring back Murphy on tryout
The Charlotte Checkers announced today the team has signed goaltender Mike Murphy to a professional tryout contract.
Murphy, 24, is the Checkers’ all-time AHL leader in games played (79) and wins (39) by a goaltender. In 2011-12 with Charlotte, the Kingston, Ont., native posted an 18-15-2 record with a 2.74 goals-against average and .908 save percentage.
He was called up for a two-game stint with the Carolina Hurricanes, where he became the only goaltender in NHL history to record a loss without surrendering a goal (0-1-0, 0.00, 1.000).
Murphy began the 2012-13 season with Moscow Spartak of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). The former Canadian Hockey League Goaltender of the Year has a 49-35-5 record in 96 career AHL games.
- AHL Highlights of the Week
- Texas adds Nichushkin on conditioning stint
- All-Star Classic tickets to go on sale Monday
- Hartford's Haggerty has eyes on New York
- Schroeder leading the charge
- AHL announces front-office additions
- Timmins gives Devils more than offense
- The A-List: 10 things you need to know