Checkers bring back Murphy on tryout
The Charlotte Checkers announced today the team has signed goaltender Mike Murphy to a professional tryout contract.
Murphy, 24, is the Checkers’ all-time AHL leader in games played (79) and wins (39) by a goaltender. In 2011-12 with Charlotte, the Kingston, Ont., native posted an 18-15-2 record with a 2.74 goals-against average and .908 save percentage.
He was called up for a two-game stint with the Carolina Hurricanes, where he became the only goaltender in NHL history to record a loss without surrendering a goal (0-1-0, 0.00, 1.000).
Murphy began the 2012-13 season with Moscow Spartak of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). The former Canadian Hockey League Goaltender of the Year has a 49-35-5 record in 96 career AHL games.
- Barons' Davidson values health, hockey
- Iowa Wild name Frederickson team president
- P-Bruins support The One Fund Boston
- Larsen "proud" heading into playoffs
- Blues, Wolves announce affiliation
- AHL Weekly Release
- MacIntyre has chance for redemption
- Hellberg named CCM/AHL Player of the Week