Checkers get first-rounder Murphy
The Carolina Hurricanes have assigned defenseman Ryan Murphy to their top development affiliate, the AHL's Charlotte Checkers.
Murphy, 20, recently wrapped up his fourth season with the Ontario Hockey League’s Kitchener Rangers, where he ranked ninth among OHL defensemen with 48 points (10g, 38a), despite playing only 54 games. He also added three goals and four assists in 10 playoff games before Kitchener was eliminated on Friday.
A first-round draft pick (11th overall) by Carolina in 2011, Murphy made his NHL debut with the Hurricanes in February, going scoreless in four games. In 228 career OHL games, he racked up 220 points (53g, 167a), while adding 57 points (12g, 45a) in 53 career playoff games. Murphy was also a member of Team Canada at the 2013 World Junior Hockey Championships.
- AHL announces front-office additions
- Timmins gives Devils more than offense
- The A-List: 10 things you need to know
- Weiss to Griffins on conditioning loan
- AHL announces suspension
- Williams spreads winning wisdom
- Portland signs Bissonnette to PTO
- Bibeau's solid start not a surprise