Checkers' Staal joins brothers in Carolina
The Carolina Hurricanes on Wednesday announced that the team will recall right wing Jared Staal from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League.
Staal, 22, has appeared in 52 games with Charlotte this season, posting four goals, three assists (seven points) and 25 penalty minutes. The Thunder Bay, Ont., native is in his third professional season, and has totaled 18 points and 49 penalty minutes in 119 career AHL games with San Antonio, Providence and Charlotte.
Staal was selected by the Phoenix Coyotes in the second round, 49th overall, of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. The Hurricanes acquired Staal on May 13, 2010, in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2010 Entry Draft.
He is the younger brother of Hurricanes centers Eric Staal and Jordan Staal, and has yet to make his NHL debut.
- AHL announces front-office additions
- Timmins gives Devils more than offense
- The A-List: 10 things you need to know
- Weiss to Griffins on conditioning loan
- AHL announces suspension
- Williams spreads winning wisdom
- Portland signs Bissonnette to PTO
- Bibeau's solid start not a surprise