Chicago, Norfolk pick up 500th wins
The Chicago Wolves and Norfolk Admirals both reached a franchise milestone on Saturday night, notching the 500th regular-season victories in their respective AHL histories.
The Wolves, in their 12th AHL season, scored three times in the third period Saturday to defeat the Peoria Rivermen, 3-0. Matt Climie made 38 saves for the shutout, while Darren Haydar (1g, 2a), Andrew Ebbett (1g, 1a), Kevin Connauton (2a) and Devin DiDiomete (1g) led the offense.
The Wolves' 500th win came in their 925th regular-season game, the second-fastest ever to the milestone. The Connecticut Whale (then the Hartford Wolf Pack) won their 500th regular-season game in their 915th game on Jan. 2, 2009.
Norfolk, in its 13th season in the AHL, picked up win number 500 in game number 1,008. Brandon McMillan scored late in regulation and Jordan Hendry converted on his attempt in the sixth round of the shootout to give the Admirals a 3-2 win over the Providence Bruins on Saturday.
Chicago and Norfolk are the 21st and 22nd franchises in AHL history to reach 500 wins.
- Monarchs first to clinch playoff berth
- Playoff Primer: March 28
- Koekkoek making big strides with Syracuse
- AHL Highlights of the Week
- Consistency is key for Chaput and the Falcons
- Stars’ strong ATO tradition helps playoff push
- Chiarot's dream being realized in Winnipeg
- Flames' Poirier shining in rookie season