Chicago, Norfolk pick up 500th wins
The Chicago Wolves and Norfolk Admirals both reached a franchise milestone on Saturday night, notching the 500th regular-season victories in their respective AHL histories.
The Wolves, in their 12th AHL season, scored three times in the third period Saturday to defeat the Peoria Rivermen, 3-0. Matt Climie made 38 saves for the shutout, while Darren Haydar (1g, 2a), Andrew Ebbett (1g, 1a), Kevin Connauton (2a) and Devin DiDiomete (1g) led the offense.
The Wolves' 500th win came in their 925th regular-season game, the second-fastest ever to the milestone. The Connecticut Whale (then the Hartford Wolf Pack) won their 500th regular-season game in their 915th game on Jan. 2, 2009.
Norfolk, in its 13th season in the AHL, picked up win number 500 in game number 1,008. Brandon McMillan scored late in regulation and Jordan Hendry converted on his attempt in the sixth round of the shootout to give the Admirals a 3-2 win over the Providence Bruins on Saturday.
Chicago and Norfolk are the 21st and 22nd franchises in AHL history to reach 500 wins.
- Victor Rask hearing good things from 'Canes
- Varone focused on proving people wrong
- Falcons equipment manager reaching 3,000 games
- Fans win in first game at PPL Center
- Worcester signs defenseman Taormina
- Johnson, Palat seek to build on breakout seasons
- Morin looking to contribute with Dallas
- AHL partners with Upper Deck