Devils sign former captain Gionta
The Albany Devils have signed center Stephen Gionta to an American Hockey League contract.
Gionta, 29, is the AHL Devils' all-time leader for points (135), goals (56), assists (79), shots (815) and games played (360). He served as team captain for four of the last five seasons. In 2011-12, he appeared in 56 games, producing 16 points with six goals and 10 assists before being recalled by the New Jersey Devils on Apr. 5.
He scored his first NHL goal on Apr. 7 against the Ottawa Senators, and was a member of New Jersey's 2012 Eastern Conference championship team, playing in 24 Stanley Cup Playoff games. He registered seven points with three goals and four assists.
A native of Rochester, N.Y., Gionta played four seasons for Boston College of Hockey East between 2002-06 and was an assistant captain his senior year.
- Panthers announce affiliation with Springfield
- BOG approves Portland sale, move to Springfield
- Monsters' Werenski proving himself
- Monsters hold off Reign again, go up 2-0
- Nothing 'minor league' about San Diego Gulls' return
- AHL Morning Skate: May 22
- Monsters hang on for Game 1 win
- Happy Camper: Bears prevail in OT