Devils sign former captain Gionta
The Albany Devils have signed center Stephen Gionta to an American Hockey League contract.
Gionta, 29, is the AHL Devils' all-time leader for points (135), goals (56), assists (79), shots (815) and games played (360). He served as team captain for four of the last five seasons. In 2011-12, he appeared in 56 games, producing 16 points with six goals and 10 assists before being recalled by the New Jersey Devils on Apr. 5.
He scored his first NHL goal on Apr. 7 against the Ottawa Senators, and was a member of New Jersey's 2012 Eastern Conference championship team, playing in 24 Stanley Cup Playoff games. He registered seven points with three goals and four assists.
A native of Rochester, N.Y., Gionta played four seasons for Boston College of Hockey East between 2002-06 and was an assistant captain his senior year.
- AHL announces front-office addition
- Guentzel impresses at development camp
- Berube named head coach of Chicago Wolves
- Caps search for goalie depth at development camp
- Mazanec, Saros compete to be Preds backup
- Griffins captain Jeff Hoggan not returning
- Bowey finding offensive, defensive balance
- Leo Luongo named Springfield goaltending coach