Fern Flaman (1927-2012)
Hockey Hall of Famer Fern Flaman, a former player, coach and manager in the American Hockey League, passed away on Friday night at the age of 85.
Flaman's passing was announced by Jim Gregory on the floor of the NHL Entry Draft prior to the start of the second round in Pittsburgh this morning.
Flaman played more than 900 games in the National Hockey League, but also skated in the AHL with the Hershey Bears (1946-47), Pittsburgh Hornets (1950-51) and Providence Reds (1961-64). Known as a bruising standout defenseman, Flaman also coached the Reds for four seasons before going on to a lengthy coaching career at Northeastern University.
- AHL Highlights of the Week
- Newcomer Karlsson fitting in with Sharks
- Central New York unites for Frozen Dome Classic
- 30,715 pack Carrier Dome for Crunch-Comets
- Frozen Dome puts Syracuse back in spotlight
- Canucks, Oilers make trade
- Rampage's Movember off to successful start
- Clendening excited for rare opportunity with Hawks