Griffins sign rookie Barnes
The Grand Rapids Griffins on Wednesday signed forward Tyler Barnes to a one-year contract.
Barnes, 24, skated in 152 games with the University of Wisconsin from 2010-14, where he accumulated 101 points (45 goals, 56 assists) and 107 penalty minutes.
A native of Eagan, Minn., Barnes capped off his collegiate career with a Big Ten tournament title with the Badgers in March, when he tallied a goal and an assist in the championship game versus Ohio State University. The 6-foot, 190-pound forward ranked fourth on the team in scoring last season with 28 points (14 goals, 14 assists).
Following the conclusion of his senior season, Barnes made his professional debut with the AHL's San Antonio Rampage, notching two goals in seven games.
- 2015 All-Star tickets to go on sale
- Hartford's Haggerty has eyes on New York
- Schroeder leading the charge
- AHL announces front-office additions
- Timmins gives Devils more than offense
- The A-List: 10 things you need to know
- Weiss to Griffins on conditioning loan
- AHL announces suspension