Griffins sign rookie Barnes
The Grand Rapids Griffins on Wednesday signed forward Tyler Barnes to a one-year contract.
Barnes, 24, skated in 152 games with the University of Wisconsin from 2010-14, where he accumulated 101 points (45 goals, 56 assists) and 107 penalty minutes.
A native of Eagan, Minn., Barnes capped off his collegiate career with a Big Ten tournament title with the Badgers in March, when he tallied a goal and an assist in the championship game versus Ohio State University. The 6-foot, 190-pound forward ranked fourth on the team in scoring last season with 28 points (14 goals, 14 assists).
Following the conclusion of his senior season, Barnes made his professional debut with the AHL's San Antonio Rampage, notching two goals in seven games.
- All-Star tickets on sale now to Comets STH
- Laughton named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- AHL announces suspension
- Canucks assign Horvat to Utica
- Hoffman pushing for full time spot with Ottawa
- Attitude Czech
- Drouin nets winner in pro debut
- Caps prospect Carrick has bright future