IceHogs pull out 2-1 win over Wolves
(icehogs.com) -- In the 2013 preseason opener for both clubs, the Rockford IceHogs pulled out a 2-1 win over the Chicago Wolves at West Meadows Ice Arena in Rolling Meadows, Ill., on Wednesday night.
The only strike in the first came on a 5-on-3 power play by the IceHogs. Pat Mullane sprung Jared Brown in all alone on Wolves goalie Shane Owen and Brown slipped the marker under him at 4:54. Chicago outshot Rockford 12-8 in the opening frame, and Kent Simpson blocked all 12 shots for the IceHogs.
Simpson would exit the game midway through the second period after stopping 17 Wolves shots. Goalie Mac Carruth was greeted rudely as Chicago tied the game at 1-1 at 12:18 when Matt Caria punched in the equalizer.
In the third period, Rockford's Matt Lowry poked a rebound under Wolves goalie Ben Meisner at 11:04 to put the IceHogs up 2-1. The goal was set up by Alex Broadhurst.
Carruth earned the win in net, making 13 saves on 14 shots. Simpson finished the night with 17 saves. Rockford went 1-for-5 on the power play while holding the Wolves to 0-for-2.
- San Jose's success has roots in Worcester
- Off-ice chemistry leading to on-ice success
- AHL Highlights of the Week
- Malhotra a 'true pro' in Charlotte
- MacLeod continuing inspiring comeback
- Devils spoil Comets' home opener
- 3rd-period success helps Pens stay perfect
- Stars' Morin named CCM/AHL Player of the Week