Keith, Nyren signed by Heat
Calgary Flames executive vice-president and general manager Darryl Sutter announced Monday the signing of Matt Keith and Giffen Nyren to American Hockey League deals with the Abbotsford Heat.
Keith, a native of Edmonton, Alta., was originally drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks in the second round (59th overall) in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft. He spent the 2009-10 season with the Rockford Icehogs (AHL) netting 21 goals and 20 assists for 41 points in 69 games.
In 426 career AHL games with Rockford, Bridgeport, Portland and Norfolk, Keith has recorded 103 goals and 117 assists for 220 points. He also has two goals and three assists in 27 career NHL matches with Chicago and the N.Y. Islanders.
Nyren, a native of Calgary, Alta., spent the last half of the 2009-10 season with the Calgary Hitmen (WHL) adding five goals and 26 assists to his totals from Kamloops to finish off the regular season with 42 points in 70 games. He also added 18 points in 23 postseason games with the Hitmen as they captured the 2010 WHL championship.
Nyren, 21, played four seasons in the WHL with Calgary, Kamloops and Moose Jaw.
- Series Snapshot: Stars vs. Barons
- Series Snapshot: Falcons vs. Bruins
- AHL Morning Skate: April 23
- Veteran Fortunus still takes it step by step
- Samson named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- Morin, Boychuk win AHL scoring races
- Penguins goalies win Hap Holmes Award
- Miele puts wraps on career year