Maple Leafs recall Gardiner
The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Wednesday that the club has recalled defenseman Jake Gardiner today from the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League.
Gardiner joined the Maple Leafs at this morning’s skate as the team prepares to play the Lightning at Air Canada Centre tonight.
Gardiner, 22, has registered 31 points (10 goals, 21 assists) with 12 penalty minutes in 43 games for the Marlies in 2012-13. The 6-foot-2, 184-pound defenseman played two games for the Leafs earlier this season.
As a rookie in 2011-12, Gardiner appeared in 75 games with the Maple Leafs, recording seven goals and 23 assists for 30 points and earning a berth on the NHL All-Rookie Team. He also tallied two assists in four regular-season games with the Marlies, and added two goals and nine assists in 17 postseason games, helping Toronto reach the Calder Cup Finals.
Gardiner was a first-round choice (17th overall) by Anaheim in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
- The kids are all right
- Sedlak's torrid stretch boosting Monsters
- Series snapshot: Bears vs. Monsters
- Samuelsson named Checkers' head coach
- Schedule finalized for 2016 Calder Cup Finals
- 'No doubt' Coreau will be NHL goalie
- AHL grads battling for Stanley Cup
- Walker first Aussie to play for Calder Cup