Monsters get OT win over Marlies
(CP) -- David van der Gulik scored at 2:59 of overtime Wednesday, capping a four-point night as the Lake Erie Monsters defeated the Toronto Marlies, 4-3, at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland.
Van der Gulik also had three assists in regulation for the Monsters (13-13-1-1), who also got a goal and an assist from Tyson Barrie.
Brad Malone and Mike Sgarbossa also scored for Lake Erie, which trailed 2-0 late in the second period.
Sami Aittokallio stopped 14 shots to get the win.
Ryan Hamilton, Paul Ranger and Greg McKegg scored for Toronto (15-9-1-1), while Mike Kostka and Joe Colborne each had two assists.
Jussi Rynnas made 32 saves in taking the loss.
Toronto finished the night 1-for-4 on the power play, while Lake Erie was scoreless on five chances.
- Adrian Kempe preparing for a statement season
- From Croatia, Rendulic hopes to make history
- Scherbak is out to earn roster spot in Montreal
- Nathan Lieuwen out to prove how good he can be
- Dell, Grosenick hope to seize opportunity with Sharks
- Fresh off Calder Cup, Falk aiming for job with Sabres
- Bednar paid his dues on way to becoming Avs coach
- Kostopoulos keeping future options open