Monsters get OT win over Marlies
(CP) -- David van der Gulik scored at 2:59 of overtime Wednesday, capping a four-point night as the Lake Erie Monsters defeated the Toronto Marlies, 4-3, at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland.
Van der Gulik also had three assists in regulation for the Monsters (13-13-1-1), who also got a goal and an assist from Tyson Barrie.
Brad Malone and Mike Sgarbossa also scored for Lake Erie, which trailed 2-0 late in the second period.
Sami Aittokallio stopped 14 shots to get the win.
Ryan Hamilton, Paul Ranger and Greg McKegg scored for Toronto (15-9-1-1), while Mike Kostka and Joe Colborne each had two assists.
Jussi Rynnas made 32 saves in taking the loss.
Toronto finished the night 1-for-4 on the power play, while Lake Erie was scoreless on five chances.
- Rookie Hudon makes it look easy
- Canucks, Islanders make trade
- Pastrnak youngest in both AHL and NHL
- Sissons set for super sophomore season
- Checkers to return to Coliseum in 2015-16
- AHL announces suspension
- Hellebuyck named Player of the Week
- AHL mourns passing of Pat Quinn