Palat plays hero as Crunch sweep Pirates
|Game 3 (OT)|
Ondrej Palat banged home a rebound with 16.2 seconds left in the first overtime period as the Syracuse Crunch completed a three-game sweep of the Portland Pirates with a 4-3 victory at the Cumberland County Civic Center.
Palat had tied the game with 1:12 left in regulation and the Crunch net empty for an extra attacker.
Portland's Andy Miele and Syracuse's Radko Gudas traded power-play goals and the game was even at 1-1 entering the third period.
The Pirates broke open a two-goal lead on goals by Alexandre Bolduc 19 seconds into the third and Nick Johnson with 9:13 remaining.
But the Crunch rallied, with captain Mike Angelidis scoring with 6:01 left in regulation before Palat netted the equalizer.
Syracuse controlled play for most of the overtime period, finishing with a 15-4 edge in shots during the stanza and a 45-18 advantage for the game.
Cedrick Desjardins (3-0) made 15 saves, including a game-saving stop off Bolduc in the final minute of OT.
Chad Johnson (0-3) stopped 41 shots for the Pirates.
- Crunch to surpass indoor attendance record
- Hellebuyck primed for big things
- Canucks, Stars have 'unusual' familiarity
- All-Star tickets on sale now to Comets STH
- Laughton named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- AHL announces suspension
- Canucks assign Horvat to Utica
- Hoffman pushing for full time spot with Ottawa