albany64 bakersfield64 binghamton64 bridgeport64 charlotte64 chicago64 cleveland64 grandrapids64 hartford64 hershey64 iowa64 lehighvalley64 manitoba64 milwaukee64 ontario64 providence64 rochester64 rockford64 sanantonio64 sandiego64 sanjose64 springfield64 stjohns64 stockton64 syracuse64 texas64 toronto64 tucson64 utica64 wbs64
Loading Scoreboard...

Springfield shines 3-2 in shootout over Hartford

( — The Springfield Falcons topped the Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2, tonight in a shootout at the MassMutual Center.
Falcons goaltender Anton Forsberg stopped 21 of 23 shots in victory. Wolf Pack goaltender Jason Missiaen turned away 10 of 11 shots before being replaced by Jeff Malcolm, who allowed one goal on 15 shots. The Falcons were unable to convert on two power-play opportunities. The penalty kill unit shut down the Wolf Pack’s only man-advantage.
After a scoreless first period, the Falcons struck first at the 3:29 mark of the middle frame. Austin Madaisky passed to Mike Hoeffel, who skated the puck into the offensive zone and took a wrist shot from the left circle. The high shot slid under the crossbar to give the Falcons a 1-0 lead. Springfield increased their lead over Hartford at the 11:34 mark. Trent Vogelhuber brought the puck across the slot and passed back to the stick of Hubert Labrie. Labrie beat Malcolm to add another Springfield tally. T.J. Tynan was credited with the secondary assist.
The Wolf Pack answered with 3:57 remaining in the second period. Forsberg made the initial save on a Nick Tarnasky shot. Shawn O’Donnell was able to get a stick on the puck and slid it over the goal line. Vinny Saponari picked up a point for the helper. The Falcons entered the second intermission leading, 2-1.
Hartford scored once more in the third period to force overtime. Andrew Yogan passed back to O’Donnell, who one-timed the feed past Forsberg from the right circle at the 11:26 mark. Saponari earned his second point of the contest with the secondary assist.
A scoreless overtime frame led to a shootout. Tynan scored the game-winner in the first round with a quick backhand shot over Malcolm’s left pad.