Stars first to clinch playoff berth
The Texas Stars became the first team to clinch a berth in the 2014 Calder Cup Playoffs on Sunday afternoon.
The Stars secured their fourth trip to the postseason in five seasons when the San Antonio Rampage defeated the Charlotte Checkers, 4-2.
Led offensively by MVP candidates Travis Morin and Colton Sceviour, Texas (41-17-3-5, 90 points) leads the AHL's Western Conference with four weeks remaining in the regular season. The Stars were the top seed in the West in 2013 but lost in the second round of the playoffs to Oklahoma City.
Texas reached the Calder Cup Finals in its inaugural season in 2008-09.
- NHL taste has Hishon eager to return
- AHL Highlights of the Week
- Checkers pushing through slow start
- Stretch off to solid start with Sound Tigers
- AHL announces suspension
- Life as a pro just Golden for McKenzie
- Samson ready for big role with new team
- Crunch to surpass indoor attendance record