Stars first to clinch playoff berth
The Texas Stars became the first team to clinch a berth in the 2014 Calder Cup Playoffs on Sunday afternoon.
The Stars secured their fourth trip to the postseason in five seasons when the San Antonio Rampage defeated the Charlotte Checkers, 4-2.
Led offensively by MVP candidates Travis Morin and Colton Sceviour, Texas (41-17-3-5, 90 points) leads the AHL's Western Conference with four weeks remaining in the regular season. The Stars were the top seed in the West in 2013 but lost in the second round of the playoffs to Oklahoma City.
Texas reached the Calder Cup Finals in its inaugural season in 2008-09.
- Veteran Fortunus still takes it step by step
- Samson named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- Morin, Boychuk win AHL scoring races
- Penguins goalies win Hap Holmes Award
- Miele puts wraps on career year
- First-round series schedules set
- Field of 16 set for Calder Cup Playoffs
- Stars' Morin takes AHL MVP honors