Stars move into tie atop AHL standings
The Texas Stars erased a 3-0 deficit and doubled up the Rockford IceHogs, 6-3, in matinee action on Monday, moving into a tie for first place in the AHL's overall standings.
Jimmy Hayes scored twice to help stake the host IceHogs to a 3-0 lead early in the second period, but the Stars responded with the final six goals of the game to improve to 25-12-3-2 (55 points) on the year. Texas has won nine of its last 10 games and is 22-6-3-1 since Nov. 11.
The Stars, who have scored 20 goals during their current three-game winning streak, got goals from six different players and went 3-for-6 on the power play. Tomas Vincour, Alex Chiasson and Maxime Fortunus scored in a span of 5:56 during the second period to tie the score at 3-3, and Justin Dowling and Antoine Roussel scored 1:34 apart early in the third to give Texas the lead.
Matt Fraser notched his 20th goal of the season into an empty net to cap the scoring.
Richard Bachman (2-0-0) made 29 saves for the Stars; Kent Simpson stopped 29 of 34 shots in his season debut for Rockford.
- Kostopoulos keeping future options open
- Walter Bush (1929-2016)
- Cleary & Sproul return to the Griffins
- Montour is on the fast track to Anaheim
- Faksa, Lindell gaining confidence at World Cup
- Devils ink Ben Sexton to an AHL contract
- Amerks great Richie Dunn passes away
- Manitoba signs Scott Glennie to PTO