Stars sign All-Star defenseman Meech
The Texas Stars, proud American Hockey League affiliate of the Dallas Stars, announced Monday that the club has signed defenseman Derek Meech to a standard AHL contract.
Meech, 29, has cleared AHL waivers and signs with Texas after beginning the season in Belarus, playing for HC Dinamo Minsk of the Kontinental Hockey League, where he had five assists and 14 penalty minutes in 23 games played.
Drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the seventh round of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, the Winnipeg, Man., native is in his 10th professional season and has appeared in 144 career NHL games with Detroit and the Winnipeg Jets, totaling 17 career points (four goals, 13 assists).
Meech has skated in 356 career AHL games with the Grand Rapids Griffins and the St. John's IceCaps, registering 127 points (30 goals, 97 assists) and 284 penalty minutes.
The 5-foot-11, 200-pound defenseman won the 2008 Stanley Cup with Detroit, and appeared in the AHL All-Star Classic in 2007 and 2013.
- Sharks get Rau; Gogol, Brace to Iowa
- AHL Highlights of the Week
- Bussieres adapting well to pro game
- Landon's legacy includes survival, reputation
- Pirates, CCCC agree to five-year lease
- AHL announces suspensions
- Adam, Abbott added to All-Star roster
- Hoffman named CCM/AHL Player of the Week