Zucker ties AHL record in Aeros win
(CP) -- Jason Zucker tied an American Hockey League record for the fastest overtime goal, scoring just five seconds into the extra period as the Houston Aeros edged the visiting Abbotsford Heat, 3-2, on Sunday evening.
Justin Fontaine and David McIntyre had goals in regulation time for Houston (9-6-1-2), while Matt Hackett made 18 saves for the win.
Zucker's goal tied the record set by Dave Saatzer of the Nova Scotia Voyageurs in 1980, and tied by Chris Corrinet of the Portland Pirates in 2002.
Joe Piskula forced the extra period for Abbotsford (12-2-2-2) with a goal 10:18 into the third period. Brett Olson scored in the first period, while Danny Taylor stopped 20 shots for the Heat.
The Aeros were 1-for-3 on the power play, while Abbotsford was 0-for-3 with the man advantage.
Houston has won three games in a row, while the Heat remained atop the Western Conference with points in 16 of their first 18 games this season.
- Devils skate into Toronto and take Game 1
- Penguins blank Bears in Game 1
- Zacha's defense fits Devils' design
- Series snapshot: Bears vs. Penguins
- Series snapshot: Marlies vs. Devils
- Series snapshot: Monsters vs. Griffins
- Series snapshot: Reign vs. Gulls
- Success flowing through Stars pipeline