Bears remain perfect on season, end Crunch’s streak

Saturday’s Boxscores

Alexandre Giroux registered two goals and an assist as Hershey rolled to a 7-1 win over Syracuse on Saturday before 8,178 fans in its home opener at the Giant Center.

Keith Aucoin, Andrew Gordon, and Graham Mink each chipped in a goal and two helpers for the Bears. The win increased Hershey’s AHL-best record to 5-0-0-0 on the young season.

Gordon and Mink scored in the first period to give the Bears a 2-0 lead, but Crunch veteran Mike York tallied a power play goal at 17:36 to make it 2-1.

Hershey scored five unanswered goals from that point on, receiving two from Giroux and one each from Aucoin, Francois Bouchard, and Sami Lepisto.

Bears goaltender Daren Machesney earned the victory with 28 saves on 29 shots.

The defeat ended Syracuse’s 18-game regular-season winning streak, which set a new AHL record, and the team’s 23-0-0-3 run in regular-season play. The Crunch last lost in regulation during the regular year on Feb. 18, 2008, a 5-0 defeat to Lake Erie.

Grand Rapids rallied from a 3-1 deficit in the third period and eventually prevailed in a shootout over host Lake Erie, 4-3, in a Saturday afternoon matinee at the Quicken Loans Arena.

Landon Wilson and Cory Emmerton scored in the shootout for the Griffins, and 2008 AHL All-Star goaltender Jimmy Howard stopped four of five tries in his first outing of the season.

After a scoreless first period, the Monsters took a 1-0 lead at 4:33 of the second when Brian Willsie scored an unassisted shorthanded goal. Lake Erie’s Chris Stewart made it 2-0 with a power play marker at 13:46.

Griffins rookie Justin Abdelkader cut his team’s deficit in half with a power play tally of his own at 16:25, only to see Lake Erie’s T.J. Hensick make it 3-1 just 50 seconds into the final stanza.

Wilson’s power play goal at 3:08 cut it to 3-2, and Darren Haydar’s first goal in a Griffins uniform tied the score at 7:34.

Howard stopped 25 of 28 shots in regulation and overtime prior to his 4-for-5 showing in the shootout. The Monsters’ Jason Bacashihua made 38 saves in the losing effort.

Mike Iggulden tallied three goals in the third period as Bridgeport erased a 1-0 deficit and posted a 3-1 win over Albany in its home opener at the Arena at Harbor Yard.

Harrison Reed gave Albany a 1-0 lead with a power play goal at 6:58 of the first period, and that lead held up through the rest of the first and all of the second.

Iggulden tallied the equalizer for Bridgeport at 2:26 of the final stanza, gave the Sound Tigers the lead at 9:17, and completed the hat trick with an empty-net, power play goal at 19:17.

Bridgeport goaltender Yann Danis earned the victory with 21 saves on 22 shots.

Hamilton exploded for five goals in the third period en route to a 6-3 win over Norfolk at Copps Coliseum in the teams’ first-ever meeting.

Mike Glumac scored twice in the third for the Bulldogs, while Matt D’Agostini, Yannick Weber, and Ryan Russell netted one goals apiece.

D’Agostini finished with three points (2-1-3) for Hamilton, and Alex Henry and David Desharnais chipped in two assists apiece.

Bulldogs goaltender Marc Denis made 39 saves as he and the Bulldogs remained perfect on the campaign (4-0-0-0), marking the first time in franchise history that Hamilton has started a season with four straight wins.

Brandon Segal netted a pair of goals for the Bulldogs, and Radek Smolenak posted a goal and an assist.

Nathan Gerbe tallied his first two professional goals, including the game-winner, as Portland edged Springfield by a 3-2 final at the MassMutual Center.

Both goals came on the power play for Gerbe, a 2008 Hobey Baker Award finalist and NCAA champion with Boston College. His marker at 9:36 of the third period proved to be the decisive goal.

Colton Fretter also scored for the Pirates, and goaltender Adam Dennis earned the win with 21 saves.

The Falcons received goals from Colin McDonald and Sebastien Bisaillon.

Kris Newbury had two goals and an assist to lead Toronto over visiting Hartford by a 4-1 count at Ricoh Coliseum.

Jaime Sifers had a goal and an assist in the win, and Staffan Kronwall rounded out the Marlies’ scoring.

Marlies goaltender Justin Pogge earned the win with 29 saves on 30 shots.

Mike Ouellette netted the Wolf Pack’s lone goal, as Hartford fell to 1-3-0-0 on the season.

Rookie Zack Smith broke a 1-1 tie at 6:13 in the third period, and Binghamton went on to a 3-1 road win over Philadelphia at the Wachovia Spectrum.

Brendan Bell scored his first goal in a Senators uniform at 15:35 to seal the victory, which upped Binghamton’s record to 3-0-0-1 on the young campaign.

Alexander Nikulin initially gave the B-Sens a 1-0 lead in the first period, but the Phantoms’ Darroll Powe tied it 4:29 into the third.

Senators goaltender Jeff Glass earned the win in his first action of the season with 24 saves on 25 shots.

Ryan Vesce’s first goal in a Worcester Sharks uniform came at 4:40 of overtime and gave the Sharks a 3-2 win over Providence before a sellout crowd of 6,814 in their home opener at the DCU Center.

Jamie McGinn put the Sharks on top 1-0 just 22 seconds into the game, and after a scoreless second period, Worcester’s Riley Armstrong scored at 2:25 of the third to make it 2-0.

But the Bruins rallied, receiving a power play goal from Johnny Boychuk at 13:54, and Martin St. Pierre tied it at the 19:33 mark.

Vesce’s overtime marker gave Worcester its first win of the season (1-2-0-0). Sharks goaltender Thomas Greiss picked up the win with 18 saves on 19 shots.

Boosted by a 41-19 advantage in shots, Lowell edged host Manchester by a 2-1 final before 8,432 fans in the Monarchs’ home opener at the Verizon Wireless Arena.

Ryan Murphy netted the game-winning goal at 16:10 of the third period, just 52 seconds after Manchester’s David Meckler had tied the contest at 1-1.

Rod Pelley also scored for the Devils, and netminder Scott Clemmensen only had to make 18 saves to pick up the win.

Monarchs goaltender Jonathan Quick took the tough-luck loss with 39 saves on 41 shots.

Matt Anderson broke a 2-2 tie at 13:03 of the third period, and Chicago held on for a 3-2 win over Peoria before a crowd of 11,988 in its home opener at the Allstate Arena.

Prior to the game, the Wolves raised a banner in honor of their 2008 Calder Cup championship.

Peoria’s Chris Conner and Chicago’s Jordan LaVallee traded goals in the first period, and Wolves defenseman Jamie Rivers put his club on top with a power play goal 8:44 into the middle stanza.

Julian Talbot tied it for Peoria on the power play 7:09 into the third, setting the stage for Anderson’s game-winner.

Wolves goaltender Ondrej Pavelec earned the win in net with 29 saves on 31 shots.

Four different players netted goals to give Iowa a 4-1 win over visiting Quad City at the Wells Fargo Arena.

Andrew Ebbett, Joakim Lindstrom, Petteri Wirtanen, and Troy Bodie all found the back of the net for the Chops, and Josh Green chipped in a pair of assists.

Iowa goaltender David LeNeveu stopped 17 of 18 shots in the winning effort.

Kris Chucko netted the Flames’ lone goal on the power play in the second period.

A three-goal second period lifted Manitoba to a 4-1 win over Rochester and a sweep of the teams’ two-game weekend set at the MTS Centre.

Rochester’s Tanner Glass and Manitoba’s Matt Pettinger traded goals in the first period, making it a 1-1 game entering the second.

The Moose then received goals from Michael Grabner, Pettinger, and Guillaume Desbiens in that second period, and neither team scored in the final stanza.

Moose goaltender Cory Schneider earned the win with 20 saves in net.

Rockford’s Petri Kontiola tied the game at 19:44 of the third period and added a goal in the shootout as the IceHogs spoiled Milwaukee’s home opener with a 4-3 win at the Bradley Center.

Pascal Pelletier also scored in the shootout for Rockford, and goaltender Antti Niemi stopped four of five Milwaukee tries after stopping 34 shots through regulation and overtime.

Cam Barker had a goal and an assist in regulation for the IceHogs, and Bryan Bickell also scored.

The Admirals scored all three of their regulation goals on the power play, as Cal O’Reilly, Antti Pihlstrom, and Cody Franson all found the back of the net.

Corey Locke tallied two goals and added two assists as Houston outlasted San Antonio by an 8-6 final at the Toyota Center.

Locke broke a 6-6 tie with a power play goal at 18:12 of the third period and sealed the victory with an empty-net marker at 19:35.

Ryan Hamilton, Peter Olvecky, and Morten Madsen all posted a goal and an assist for the Aeros, while Clayton Stoner and Marco Rosa also scored.

Danny Irmen and Brandon Rogers each chipped in a pair of assists in the win.

Garth Murray led the Rampage with a pair of scores, and Matt Jones and Greg Classen each posted a goal and an assist.