Earl, Foster help Marlies rally past Monsters

Link to Sunday’s boxscores

The Toronto Marlies scored twice in the final 10 minutes to rally for a 5-4 victory over Lake Erie on Sunday evening at the Quicken Loans Arena. Robbie Earl led Toronto with a goal and two assists, and Alex Foster scored the game-winner with just over eight minutes remaining in the third period. The Marlies remained unbeaten in regulation at 10-0-0-2.

Lake Erie started fast, taking a 2-0 lead after the first 20 minuets on goals by David Jones and Cody McLeod. Both players would add an assist later in the game to finish with multiple-point showings.

In the second period, Earl got Toronto on the board with a shorthanded marker at 4:21. Jeremy Williams tallied the equalizer just 55 seconds later, his goal coming unassisted.

Matt Hussey regained the lead for Lake Erie at 15:54 of the middle stanza, but the Marlies’ Bryan Muir scored 33 seconds later to tie it up at 3-3.

After the Monsters took a 4-3 lead on a third-period goal by Stephen Margeson, Toronto’s Kris Newbury tied it at 10:28, and Foster notched the game-winner a little more than a minute later, at 11:51.

Both Foster and Muir posted multiple points (1-1-2) and each player was +3 in the contest. Earl also posted a +3 rating.

Goaltender Justin Pogge stopped 30 of 34 shots in the winning effort.

Jeff Tambellini and Steve Regier each notched a goal and an assist as Bridgeport blanked Hershey by a 4-0 final at the Arena at Harbor Yard.

Goaltender Joey MacDonald stopped all 24 shots sent his way to secure his second shutout of the season.

Tambellini provided all the offense Bridgeport would need with a power play goal at 16:03 of the first period, a period in which the Sound Tigers held a 15-3 advantage in shots. They outshot the Bears by a final margin of 37-24.

Sean Bentivoglio and Kip Brennan also lit the lamp in the win for Bridgeport.

Portland goaltender Jonas Hiller stopped 41 of 42 shots, and the Pirates scored once each in the first and second periods to secure a 2-1 victory over Hartford at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Petteri Wirtanen and Brian Salcido scored for the Pirates, with the latter tallying the eventual game-winner on the power play at 19:18 of the second period. Wirtanen assisted on Salcido’s goal to finish with a goal and an assist.

The Wolf Pack’s lone goal was scored by Greg Moore on a man-advantage at 15:30 of the middle stanza. Moore now has a four-game points streak (3-2-5).

Hiller’s 41 save-performance included stopping all 16 Wolf Pack shots in the third period, when Hartford doubled up the Pirates in shots, 16-8.

Philadelphia’s Ryan Potulny completed a strong personal weekend with the game-winner in the third period, lifting the Phantoms over Albany by a 2-1 final at the Wachovia Spectrum.

Potulny, who also assisted on Boyd Kane’s third-period goal, finished the weekend with five goals and six points (5-1-6), including a hat trick and three game-winning tallies.

The River Rats entered the final 20 minutes ahead 1-0 on a first-period goal by Casey Borer, it coming on the power play.

In the third, the Phantoms netted two power play goals of their own. Kane tied the game at 2:36, and Potulny put home the decisive goal at 8:59.

Philadelphia, which moved to 13-1-1-0 on the season, outshot the River Rats by a final count of 47-20, including 15-5 in the third period.

Rockford received goals from seven different players on its way to an 8-3 win over San Antonio at the Rockford MetroCentre.

Martin St. Pierre led the way with a five-point night (2-3-5) for the IceHogs, while Petri Kontiola (1-3-4), Michael Blunden (1-2-3), Cam Barker (1-1-2), Jake Dowell (0-2-2), and Kris Versteeg (0-2-2) all finished with multiple points as well.

Rockford’s Jonathan Paiement, Jordan Hendry, and Adam Berti also lit the lamp. Five of the eight IceHogs goals came on the power play, as they went 5-for-13 in the game.

Joel Perrault, Chris Durno, and Brendan Bell each scored for the Rampage, who went winless on their three-game weekend (0-2-1-0).

Chicago tied the game late in the third period and went on to defeat host Rochester in a shootout by a 2-1 final at the Blue Cross Arena.

Tanner Glass got the Americans out to an early lead at 6:40 of the first period. It was his second goal of the season, and assists went to Rob Globke and Dylan Hunter.

The Wolves staved off their first regulation loss of the season when Steve Martins tallied the equalizer at 19:01 of the third period. Alexandre Giroux and Jason Krog picked up assists on the power play goal.

Krog and Kevin Doell picked up goals in the shootout for the Wolves, pushing their season record to 11-0-1-0.