Harrold scores twice as Monarchs dump Bruins, 5-1

Link to Sunday’s boxscores

Defenseman Peter Harrold (pictured) scored two of Manchester’s three first-period goals, and the visiting Monarchs went on to defeat Providence by a 5-1 final on Sunday at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center. Harrold has notched five goals in his last three games (5-1-6) for Manchester after scoring one (1-14-15) in his first 15 contests of the season.

The victory snapped the Monarchs’ three-game winless skid (0-2-1-0).

Harrold got the scoring started at 14:36 of the first period, kicking off three Manchester goals in a span of 2:04. Troy Milam lit the lamp at 15:35, and Harrold followed with his second of the night at 16:40.

The Monarchs made it 4-0 in the second period, as Patrick Jarrett notched his first career AHL goal. He was playing in his third game for Manchester since being recalled from Reading of the ECHL on Nov. 20.

David Meckler added an unassisted, shorthanded goal midway through the third to cap the Manchester scoring.

Monarchs rookie goaltender Jonathan Quick stopped 34 of 35 shots for his first AHL victory.

His shutout bid was broken up when Providence’s Brett Skinner got the home team on the board at 17:33 of the third period.

Three goals in the second period lifted Lowell over Portland, 4-3, at the Tsongas Arena. The Devils ended a five-game winless skid (0-4-1-0) with the victory.

Grant Marshall led the Devils with a goal and two assists, and Noah Clarke added a goal and one helper.

Jason Ryznar and Ryan Murphy also tallied goals for Lowell, and netminder Jordan Parise secured the win with 24 saves.

Portland was led by Bobby Ryan’s goal and helper, while Geoff Platt and Brian Salcido notched a goal apiece.

Frans Nielsen and Jeremy Colliton netted goals in the shootout to push Bridgeport past Albany, 4-3, at the Arena at Harbor Yard. The Sound Tigers ended a four-game losing streak.

Colliton also scored in regulation for the Sound Tigers, tallying a shorthanded goal to begin the scoring at 2:29 of the first period.

Andrew MacDonald and Tim Jackman added goals for Bridgeport, and goaltender Joey MacDonald (4-7-0) stopped 26 of 29 shots, plus four of five in the shootout, to pick up the victory.

Mike Angelidis, Derek Damon, and Jerome Samson netted goals for the River Rats, and Keith Aucoin chipped in with two assists.

Hershey scored once in each period on its way to a 3-2 victory over visiting Wilkes-Barre/Scranton at the Giant Center.

Jay Beagle, Kyle Wilson, and Grant Potulny all lit the lamp for the Bears.

Jakub Klepis contributed a pair of assists, and Frederic Cassivi made 29 saves in net to improve to 5-1-0 in his last six starts.

The Penguins received goals from Kurtis McLean and Nathan Smith in the losing effort.

Antti Pihlstrom tied the game at 8:34 of the third period, and visiting Milwaukee went on to post a 3-2 shootout win over Houston at the Toyota Center.

The teams alternated goals through regulation, with Ryan Hamilton and Joel Ward giving the Aeros a pair of one-goal leads. Ward’s was an unassisted goal at 5:07 of the third period.

The Admirals tied the score both times. Defenseman Alex Henry scored in the first period, and Pihlstrom converted on a power play in the third.

Matt Ellison and Mike Santorelli scored in the shootout for Milwaukee, and goaltender Pekka Rinne (8-7-0) stopped four of five Houston attempts.

The shootout loss ended the Aeros’ home winning streak at five games.

Rockford gave up the game’s first goal but then scored three unanswered tallies of its own to defeat Grand Rapids, 3-1, at the Rockford MetroCentre.

David Bolland posted a goal and an assist for the IceHogs, while Jack Skille and Troy Brouwer also scored.

Prestin Ryan added two assists, and goaltender Corey Crawford stopped 42 of 43 shots, including all 32 over the final 40 minutes.

Grand Rapids, which held a 43-29 advantage in shots, took a 1-0 lead in the opening period on a goal by Jonathan Ericsson.

The Griffins fell to 1-9-0-2 since a 5-2-0-0 start to the season.