Munroe’s 46-save shutout leads Phantoms past Bruins

Sunday’s Boxscores

Philadelphia goaltender Scott Munroe made 46 saves for his second shutout of the season as the Phantoms took a 2-0 road win over Providence on Sunday afternoon at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center.

Claude Giroux and Jared Ross each posted a goal and an assist for the Phantoms, who won for the seventh time in their last eight games and improved to 8-6-0-0 overall.

The teams played a scoreless first period, but Giroux put Philadelphia on top with his fifth goal of the season at 10:17 of the second period.

Ross assisted on that goal and then extended the lead to 2-0 at 3:24 of the third, with Giroux picking up the lone assist.

Munroe, who upped his season record to 5-1-0, denied all 40 Bruins shots over the first two periods, including 23 in the middle stanza alone.

Jonathan Sigalet and Mike York tallied third period goals as Syracuse rallied for a 2-1 win over visiting Houston at the Onondaga County War Memorial.

After a scoreless first period, John Lammers gave the Aeros a 1-0 lead with a power play goal at 12:48 of the second.

Sigalet tied it for the Crunch 10:12 into the third, and York netted the game-winner at the 17:35 mark.

Crunch goaltender Dan LaCosta earned the win with 31 saves on 32 shots.

Bridgeport took sole possession of first place in the East Division with a 4-1 home-ice win over Hershey at the Arena at Harbor Yard.

The Sound Tigers (10-3-0-1) now hold a two-point lead on the Bears (9-5-0-1) in the division, and Bridgeport’s 21 points are also good for first overall in the AHL.

Jesse Joensuu and Kurtis McLean each netted a pair of goals for the Sound Tigers, and Sean Bentivoglio chipped in a pair of assists.

Bridgeport goaltender Nathan Lawson earned the win with 19 saves.

Defenseman Karl Alzner netted the lone goal for the Bears, who dropped consecutive games in regulation for the first time this season.

Junior Lessard tallied a goal in regulation and the winner in the shootout as Chicago rallied for a 3-2 road win over Manchester at the Verizon Wireless Arena.

With the Wolves trailing 2-0 in the third period, Lessard scored at 6:13 and former AHL rookie of the year Brett Sterling tallied the equalizer at 19:28, his first AHL goal of the campaign.

Riley Holzapfel also scored in the shootout for Chicago, and goaltender Robert Gherson denied all four of Manchester’s tries after making 30 saves through regulation and overtime.

The Monarchs initially took a 2-0 lead on a pair of goals by Matt Moulson 3:26 apart in the first period.

Lake Erie scored four times in the third period to rally past Hamilton by a 6-4 final at Quicken Loans Arena.

Chris Stewart tallied a hat trick and added an assist for the Monsters, scoring once in each period. T.J. Galiardi posted a goal and two helpers, and Mike Vernace and Philippe Dupuis each had two points (1-1-2).

Trailing 4-3, the Monsters received the game-tying goal from Vernace at 16:16 of the third period and the eventual winner from Dupuis at 18:15. Lake Erie goaltender Tyler Weiman earned the victory with 17 saves on 21 shots.

Matt D’Agostini scored a pair of goals for the Bulldogs, and Yannick Weber posted a goal and an assist.

Kyle Greentree netted a hat trick to help Quad City double up host San Antonio by a 4-2 count at the AT&T Center.

Greentree scored once in each period and capped the night off with an empty-net goal in the game’s closing minute.

Brett Palin also scored for the Flames, who built a 3-0 lead after two periods.

The Rampage attempted a comeback in the final stanza, receiving goals from Dylan Reese and Adam Keefe, the first goal of the campaign for both players.

Quad City goaltender Leland Irving stopped 17 of 19 shots to pick up the victory.