Penguins win 3OT marathon

Colby Armstrong scored at 12:26 of the third overtime period on Monday night, ending the ninth-longest game in American Hockey League history and giving Wilkes-Barre/Scranton a crucial 3-2 victory over Binghamton in Game 3 of their East Division semifinal series.

The Penguins still trail two games to one, with Game 4 scheduled for Wednesday.

Armstrong’s goal was scored just before midnight in the Eastern time zone, and came nearly four full periods after Christoph Schubert tied the game with his second goal of the night late in the second frame.

Kris Beech had a goal and an assist and Erik Christensen added two assists for Wilkes-Barre.

Andy Chiodo earned the win in net with 42 saves, including 17 in the overtime periods. Ray Emery took the loss despite 46 saves on the night.

Colin Fraser‘s first professional goal broke a 1-1 tie early in the third period and sent Norfolk on its way to a 3-1 win over Philadelphia on Monday night at Scope.

The Phantoms still hold a 2-1 lead in the teams’ East Division semifinal series, with Game 4 coming up on Wednesday.

Fraser, who ironically was drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in the third round in 2003, joined the Admirals late in the regular season after four junior seasons at Red Deer (WHL).

Fraser’s rights were acquired by the Chicago Blackhawks last year in a deal that sent Alexei Zhamnov to the Flyers.

Ajay Baines added a goal and an assist and Eric Nickulas had two assists for Norfolk. Craig Anderson made 30 saves.

Josh Gratton scored for the Phantoms.

Andy Hilbert scored two goals and assisted on two others as Providence posted a 6-3 win over Manchester in Game 3 on Monday.

The Bruins have a 2-1 series lead over the Atlantic Division champion Monarchs.

Providence jumped out to another quick lead, as Pat Leahy, Martin Samuelsson and Hilbert put the B’s up 3-0 before the 12-minute mark of the first period.

Keith Aucoin and Kevin Dallman scored power-play goals in the second period to make it 5-1.

Hannu Toivonen made 27 saves for the win.

Dustin Brown and Brad Smyth recorded a goal and an assist apiece for the Monarchs.

Simon Gamache had a goal and two assists and Brian Finley made 28 saves as Milwaukee posted a 3-0 win over Cincinnati in Game 4 of their West Division semifinal on Monday.

The Admirals lead the series, 3-1, heading into Wednesday’s Game 5 in Cincinnati.

Gamache leads the league with five goals and eight points in four postseason matches.

Paul Brown and Darren Haydar scored power-play markers for the Admirals, who are now 10-for-39 (25.6%) with the man advantage in the series, and 20-for-59 (33.9%) in their last eight postseason games, dating to the 2004 Finals.

A four-goal onslaught in the first period was more than enough for Manitoba to take a series lead with a 5-2 victory over St. John’s in Winnipeg on Monday.

Attendance for the first-ever playoff game at the MTS Centre was 8,385.

Ryan Kesler, Jeff Heerema, Jimmy Roy and Josh Green gave the Moose a 4-0 lead before the game was even 13 minutes old. Kesler, Heerema and Nathan Smith would finish the night with a goal and an assist each.

Wade Flaherty made 22 saves and recorded an assist for the Moose. Mikael Tellqvist stopped six of 10 shots before giving way to J.S. Aubin, who finished with 22 saves.

Game 4 of the series is scheduled for Wednesday.