Sharks rally late to win Wednesday matinee

Graham Mink scored a pair of goals, including the tiebreaking tally with 6:48 left in regulation, as Worcester rallied for a 4-2 win over host Bridgeport in a special Wednesday matinee at the Arena at Harbor Yard.

Attendance for the 11:00 a.m. start was 5,753, mostly children from area schools who attended as part of the Sound Tigers’ annual "Cool Fun 101" educational promotion.

Mike Iggulden added a goal and two assists and Tom Cavanagh picked up a goal and an assist for the Sharks, who snapped a four-game losing streak with the victory.

Thomas Greiss (4-2-0) finished with 27 saves.

Sean Bentivoglio and Drew Fata scored for the Sound Tigers, who led 2-1 with just over 10 minutes remaining in regulation but fell to 5-6-0-0 on the season.

Michael Leighton made 28 saves to earn his third shutout of the season as Albany blanked Binghamton by a 2-0 final at the Times Union Center.

Jerome Samson scored in the first period for the River Rats, and Casey Borer added a third-period marker. Jamie Johnson assisted on both goals.

Leighton improved to 5-4-1 on the campaign, and each of his last three wins has been via the shutout. All three have been against division rivals.

With the loss, Binghamton’s five-game winning streak came to an end.

Joe Motzko tallied a hat trick for Hershey, but the Bears squandered a third-period lead and fell to Norfolk, 5-3, in Virginia.

Motzko initially gave the Bears a 1-0 lead in the first period, but Norfolk’s Bryce Lampman and Norm Milley scored to give the Admirals a 2-1 advantage after the first 20 minutes.

Motzko then notched the game’s next two goals, at 10:36 and 14:24 of the second period, and Hershey entered the third period up 3-2.

The Admirals responded with three goals in the final period. Justin Keller tied it at 8:14, and Ryan Craig provided the eventual game-winner at 11:23. Mark Rooneem added an insurance goal in the closing minutes. It was each player’s first goal of the season.

Norfolk goaltender Jonathan Boutin earned the win by making 36 saves on 39 shots.

Jordan LaVallee’s power play goal at 7:31 of the third period lifted Chicago past Quad City by a 2-1 final at the I Wireless Center.

The victory pushed the Wolves’ record to 8-0-1-0 on the campaign, while the Flames’ winless skid extended to seven games (0-5-1-1).

Quad City took a 1-0 lead when Carsen Germyn scored on the power play at 15:04 of the opening period. Germyn now has three goals in his last two games (3-0-3).

Joel Kwiatkowski netted the equalizer for Chicago just 18 seconds into the second period, and the game remained knotted at 1-1 until LaVallee’s decisive tally.

Wolves goaltender Fred Brathwaite made 26 saves in improving to 6-1-0 on the season.