Wednesday’s preseason recaps

The Bridgeport Sound Tigers won their second preseason game in as many nights with a 5-3 triumph over the Providence Bruins at the University of Rhode Island’s Boss Arena in Kingston, R.I., on Wednesday night.

The Sound Tigers were led by two goals from returnee Steve Regier and a trio of tallies from Luch Aquino, Jamie Johnson and Tyler Liebel.

Regier scored the eventual game-winner at 15:53 of the second period and added an insurance goal early in the third. Regier snapped a 3-3 tie when he fired home a one timer on a centering feed in the slot.

Providence erased an early 2-0 deficit to take the lead on goals by David Krejci, Daniel Sparre and Andrew Leach.


Jeff Corey scored with 9:09 left in regulation to lift the Toronto Marlies to a 6-5 victory over the Hamilton Bulldogs in Oshawa, Ont.

Toronto opened the scoring at 9:18 of the first period when Brett Engelhardt recorded his first goal of the preseason. Daniel Pegoraro evened the score 1-1 at the 16:33 mark on the power play, and Matt D’Agostini scored 1:27 later to give the Bulldogs a 2-1 lead.

Seven goals were scored in the second period, with Frederic St. Denis, Duncan Milroy and Michael Lambert tallying for the Bulldogs and Martin Sagat, Jiri Tlusty, John Mitchell and Dominic D’Amour netting goals for the Marlies.

Bulldogs starting goaltender Jaroslav Halak stopped 17 of the 22 shots he faced in two periods of action; Dov Grumet-Morris turned aside 10 of the 11 shots he faced. Marlies netminder Jean-Francois Racine made 20 saves on 25 shots and earned the win.


Franklin MacDonald scored on both of his shootout attempts to lift Rochester to a 4-3 victory over Syracuse at the ESL Center in Rochester on Wednesday.

MacDonald, who also scored a power-play goal in the first period, played the last three seasons with Halifax of the QMJHL.

Jonathan Lehun and David Brine added a goal and an assist each for the Americans, and David Shantz, a second-round draft pick by Florida in 2004, stopped 35 shots.

Petr Pohl, Wes Rypien and Kris Vernarsky scored for the Crunch.


The Chicago Wolves scored three power-play goals in the first 6:09 of the second period and defeated the Milwaukee Admirals, 3-1, in Hartland, Wis., on Wednesday night.

The Admirals got on the board first when Brandon Segal scored at the 12:31 mark of the opening period. With the Ads on a two-man advantage, Segal fired a wrister from the left circle that beat Chicago goalie Dan Turple low to the glove side.

Shortly after taking the lead Milwaukee killed off over a minute of a Wolves’ 5-on-3 power play and went into the locker room up 1-0 after 20 minutes of play.

The Wolves tied the game up with a power-play goal of their own 1:46 into the second. Cory Larose found the back of the net off assists from Joey Crabb and Kevin Doell just seven seconds after a holding penalty to Crabb expired.

The Wolves lit the lamp just 90 seconds later on a two-man advantage when Chad Painchaud scored off assists from Jared Ross and Colin Stuart.

Another 5-on-3 power play for Chicago led to a Ross goal and a 3-1 lead for the Wolves.