Zingoni, goaltending tandem lift Phantoms over Sharks

Link to Saturday’s boxscores


Pete Zingoni scored twice in the first period and Philadelphia never looked back on its way to a 3-0 win over Worcester in the teams’ first-ever meeting on Saturday at the DCU Center. Stefan Ruzicka also scored for the Phantoms, who increased their record to 9-1-1-0 for an AHL-best 19 points. The Sharks are now winless in four straight outings (0-3-1-0).

Zingoni, who scored his fifth and sixth goals of the campaign, got the Phantoms out to an early lead at 1:11 of the opening stanza.

He made it a 2-0 game on the power play at 9:55, skating in from the right circle and flipping off a wrist shot that just slipped over the left shoulder of Sharks goaltender Taylor Dakers.

Ruzicka extended the lead to 3-0 at 18:07 of the second period. Steve Downie, playing in his first AHL game of the season, was initially denied on a partial breakaway attempt. Downie then collected the puck in the left corner and sent a pass through the slot to a wide-open Ruzicka, who beat Dakers to the glove side.

Downie finished with a pair of assists on the evening.

Philadelphia goaltenders Brian Boucher and Scott Munroe combined for the shutout, stopping all 32 Worcester shots. Boucher, the starter, received credit for the victory.

This was just the second tandem shutout in the 12-year history of the Phantoms and first on the road. The other was turned in by Neil Little and Brian Regan on March 23, 2001, a 5-0 blanking of Norfolk.

Albany scored two goals in the first period, one in the second, and two more in the third period to secure a 5-2 win over Lowell at the Times Union Center.

Jerome Samson, Trevor Gillies, Brandon Nolan, Pat Dwyer, and Ryan Bayda all scored for the River Rats.

Samson and Dwyer each added assists for two-point nights, and Dave Gove (0-2-2) also picked up multiple points.

The Devils’ goals were scored by Ian Moran and Noah Clarke, who now has goals in consecutive games.

Albany goaltender Kevin Nastiuk, making his second start of the season, made 24 saves to improve his record to 2-0-0.

Michel Leveille tallied a pair of goals to lead Toronto over Hartford by a 5-2 final in Connecticut’s capital.

Kris Newbury added a goal and an assist for the Marlies and was +3, while Colin Murphy and Darryl Boyce also scored in the victory. Toronto stayed unbeaten in regulation on the season, moving to 8-0-0-2.

Marlies goaltender Scott Clemmensen made 29 saves on 31 shots to keep his record unblemished at 6-0-0.

Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau scored twice for the Wolf Pack, with both goals coming on the power play. It marked Parenteau’s first multiple-goal game of the season.

Lauri Tukonen’s power play goal at 14:59 of the third period broke a 3-3 tie and propelled visiting Manchester to a 5-3, come-from-behind victory over Springfield.

Peter Harrold added an empty-net goal for Manchester, which won its first road game of the season (1-2-1-1)

Brady Murray, David Meckler, and Troy Milam scored earlier for the Monarchs, who erased two separate one-goal deficits in the contest.

Murray and Meckler’s goals came just 41 seconds apart in the second period.

Tom Sestito, Allan Rourke, and Troy Bodie notched goals for the Falcons, with Rourke adding an assist for a two-point showing.

Monarchs netminder Erik Ersberg made 21 saves on 24 shots, improving his record to 3-1-1 on the campaign.

Bridgeport scored four straight goals after allowing the game’s first one on its way to a 4-1 road win over Hershey at the Giant Center.

The Sound Tigers prevailed despite being outshot by a final margin of 43-18 in the contest, including 17-2 in the first period alone.

Jeff Tambellini had a hand in all four Bridgeport goals, as he picked up the primary assist on the first three and then netted an unassisted, shorthanded marker in the third period to cap the scoring.

Steve Regier factored into three of the goals for the Sound Tigers, scoring a pair and adding an assist. Jamie Fraser also scored for Bridgeport.

Three of the four Sound Tiger goals came on the power play, as they finished 3-for-10 in the contest.

Hershey initially took a 1-0 lead in the first period on an unassisted, shorthanded goal by Jay Beagle, his tally of the season.

Providence scored a pair of second-period goals and held on for a 3-2 victory over Portland at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

It marked the Bruins’ fourth straight win and their eighth in nine games (8-1-0-0), all on the road, to begin the season.

Sean Curry and Vladimir Sobotka tallied the second-period goals, with Pascal Pelletier picking up the primary assist on both. Pelletier added an unassisted goal in the third period, and that turned out to be the game-winner.

Mike Brown picked up the win in net for the P-Bruins, making 29 saves on 31 shots in his first outing of the season.

Portland received goals from Aaron Rome and Ryan Carter in the losing effort. The loss snapped the Pirates’ unbeaten-in-regulation streak at five games (4-0-1-0).

Binghamton scored three times in the third period to rally past Syracuse by a 4-3 final at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena.

Josh Hennessy, Niko Dimitrakos, and Matt Carkner all scored in the final stanza for the Senators, and Greg Mauldin also scored for the home team.

The Crunch took a 2-1 lead into that final period on the strength of goals from Jon Mirasty and Philippe Dupuis.

Kris Beech made it a 3-1 game 4:06 into the third, but Hennessy began Binghamton’s comeback just 24 seconds later.

Jeff Glass made 25 saves in net for the Senators, who are 5-0-1-0 in their last six games after a 1-3-0-0 start.

Jeff Taffe scored in the eighth round of the shootout to push Wilkes-Barre/Scranton past visiting Norfolk, 3-2.

Tim Brent also scored in the shootout for the Penguins, and goaltender Ty Conklin denied seven of eight shootout attempts against him, including the final six.

Norfolk’s Bryce Lampman tallied his first goal of the season at 17:41 of the opening period, and the 1-0 lead held until the 2:49 mark of the third, when the Penguins’ Alex Goligoski notched his second of the campaign.

Each team’s goal in regulation came on the power play.

Rochester scored a goal in the second and added two more in the third period to take a 3-0 decision over Hamilton at the Blue Cross Arena.

Adam Dennis made 22 saves to earn the shutout for the Amerks, who have won a season-high three straight contests.

Rochester received goals from David Brine, Clarke MacArthur, and Anthony Stewart in the victory.

MacArthur now has a goal in five straight games (5-3-8).

Michael Blunden’s goal 13:27 into the third period lifted Rockford to a 2-1 win over Manitoba for its first home win as a member of the AHL.

The IceHogs led for the most of the game, as Troy Brouwer scored a power play goal at 8:09 of the first period. He now has a goal in three straight games (3-0-3).

The Moose tallied the equalizer at 4:54 of the third period, off the stick of Juraj Simek, who had a total of seven shots in the game.

Rockford was outshot by a final margin of 42-25, but goaltender Wade Flaherty stopped 41 of the 42 shots to pick up the win against his former club.

San Antonio rallied for two goals in the third period to skate off with a 3-2 road win over Quad City.

Joey Tenute tallied the game-winner for the Rampage with just 4:25 remaining in regulation, with Jon DiSalvatore and Keith Yandle earning assists.

Chris Durno notched the Rampage’s other two goals, including a shorthanded marker in the first period and the game-tying score at 4:00 of the third.

The Flames took a 2-1 lead into the second intermission on goals by Kris Chucko and Brandon Prust.

David Aebischer secured his second win in as many nights by making 24 saves for San Antonio, which has now won three straight contests overall.

The Rampage and Flames will be back on the I Wireless Center ice for a rematch on Sunday.