Devils use Gionta’s two goals to rally past Monarchs

Link to Friday’s boxscores

Stephen Gionta (pictured) factored into all three of Lowell’s goals, assisting on the first tally and then scoring a pair in the third period as the Devils edged Manchester by a 3-2 final on Friday at Tsongas Arena. Gionta tied the game at 2:53 of the final stanza and then notched the game-winner at 9:00, pushing Lowell to 2-0-0-0 on the season against the Monarchs.

Noah Clarke, who played 267 games in a Manchester uniform over the past four seasons, gave Lowell a 1-0 lead 4:28 into the game with his third tally as a member of the Devils.

The second period belonged to Manchester, and particularly rookie Teddy Purcell, who netted a pair of goals to put the Monarchs on top. Peter Harrold assisted on both goals.

That set up Gionta’s third-period performance to lead the Devils’ comeback.

Lowell goaltender Frank Doyle turned in a 38-save performance on 40 shots to earn the win.

Tommy Pyatt scored his first two professional goals and assisted on another as Hartford downed Worcester by a 3-2 count.

Pyatt scored one goal each in the first and second periods to build a 2-0 Hartford lead.

The Sharks evened the score on second-period goals by Mike Iggulden and Patrick Traverse.

Iggulden now has a point in all seven games the Sharks have played (5-5-10) and a goal in four straight contests (4-0-4)

Hartford’s Dane Byers and Worcester’s Tom Cavanagh exchanged the next two goals to make it a 3-3 game.

Bourret notched the decisive tally at 13:43 of the third, with assists going to Ivan Baranka and Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau.

Wolf Pack netminder Chris Holt made 20 saves on 23 shots to secure the win.

Daren Machesney posted a 36-save shutout in his first game of the season for Hershey, and the visiting Bears defeated Albany, 2-0.

Ben Clymer and Kyle Wilson scored for Hershey, which avenged a loss to Albany by the same 2-0 score last Sunday.

River Rats goaltender Michael Leighton, who earned that shutout among his two last weekend, made 27 saves in the losing effort on Friday.

Tyler Donati recorded two goals, including the game-winner, and added an assist in Binghamton’s 5-2 home win over Bridgeport.

The Senators also had goals from Niko Dimitrakos, Greg Mauldin, and Denis Hamel.

Bridgeport, which has lost four in a row, took a 1-0 lead on a first-period goal by Frans Nielsen.

Blake Comeau also scored for the Sound Tigers, and his goal tied the game at 2-2 before Binghamton scored the game’s final three.

Senators goaltender Jeff Glass made 35 saves in the win.

Andrew Ebbett scored 59 seconds into overtime to propel Portland past Philadelphia, 3-2, at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

The goal was Ebbett’s second overtime game-winner in three games, as he also accomplished the feat in a 3-2 win over Worcester on Oct. 26.

It marked the fifth consecutive game the Pirates have played that has gone beyond regulation, but Portland has made it worthwhile, posting a 4-0-1-0 record over the five contests.

Jason King and Aaron Rome also scored for the Pirates, who got out to a 1-0 lead in a game that saw the teams alternate goals through regulation.

Darren Reid (1-1-2) and Jonathan Matsumoto (0-2-2) posted multiple-point efforts for the Phantoms, who fell to 8-1-1-0 on the campaign.

The Phantoms’ other goal was scored by Kyle Greentree, who now has a point in six of his last seven outings (4-6-10).

For the eighth straight game to begin the season, Providence outshot its opponent and reached 30 shots.

For the seventh time out of eight, the Bruins came out victorious, this time by a 4-1 decision over Springfield.

Providence outshot the Falcons by a final margin of 35-15, including 26-10 over the final 40 minutes.

T.J. Trevelyan and Pascal Pelletier scored for the Bruins to give them a 2-1 advantage, and Chris Collins added a pair of third-period insurance goals, one of which went into an empty net.

Springfield’s lone goal was scored by Troy Bodie.

P-Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask only had to make 14 saves, but moved to 6-1-0 on the season with the victory.

Rochester scored a pair of third-period goals to take a 5-3 win from Grand Rapids in a back-and-forth game at the Blue Cross Arena. The Amerks earned a sweep of the teams’ home-and-home set.

Dylan Hunter paced the Rochester offense with a five-point night (2-3-5), and Clarke MacArthur scored the eventual game-winning goal on the power play at 7:36 of the third period.

MacArthur now has a goal in four straight games (4-3-7) and his 17 points overall (7-10-17) are tied for the AHL lead.

Marek Zagrapan also scored for Rochester, giving him three goals in the home-and-home set.

The Griffins, who lost their first road game of the season (5-1-0-0), received goals from Garrett Stafford, Mark Hartigan, and Johan Ryno, and Hartigan added an assist for a multiple-point showing.

Syracuse took a 2-0 lead into the third period and wound up prevailing over Hamilton in a shootout, 3-2, at Copps Coliseum.

Tom Sestito and Andrew Murray scored in regulation for the Crunch, who are now 2-2-0-0 on a five-game road trip heading into Saturday’s finale at Binghamton.

The Bulldogs tied the game in the third period on a pair of goals whose scoring read exactly the same – Maxim Lapierre on the goal, assisted by Duncan Milroy and Joel Bouchard.

In the shootout, the Crunch’s Derek MacKenzie scored the decisive goal in the fourth round, followed by goaltender Adam Munro’s denial of Hamilton winger Francis Lemieux in the fifth round.

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton scored on four of five shootout attempts on their way to a 3-2 victory over Toronto at home.

Connor James and Kurtis McLean scored in the first and second period, respectively, for the Penguins, to give them 1-0 and 2-1 leads.

Toronto responded each time on goals by Jay Harrison and John Mitchell, with David Ling assisting on both tallies.

Ling would add a successful shootout conversion, but it was not enough to prevent Toronto from suffering their second shootout loss of the season. However, the first-place Marlies (7-0-0-2) have still yet to lose in regulation.

Penguins goaltender Ty Conklin earned the win with 33 saves through regulation and overtime.

Manitoba scored six unanswered goals, including four in the third period, on its way to a 6-3 road victory over Milwaukee at the Bradley Center.

Six different Moose skaters lit the lamp, with Brad Moran, Juraj Simek, Pierre-Cedric Labrie, Michael Grabner, and Alexandre Bolduc each adding an assist for two-point nights.

Greg Classen also scored for the Moose, and goaltender Cory Schneider made 32 saves to improve to 2-2-0 in his rookie season.

The Admirals, who have dropped two straight after a five-game winning streak, jumped to a 3-0 lead by the game’s mid-point on a pair of goals from Mike Santorelli and one by Antti Pihlstrom.

Jesse Schultz netted a hat trick, and Jordan LaVallee added two goals and an assist as visiting Chicago cruised to a 7-1 victory over Quad City at the I Wireless Center.

Schultz tallied his fourth, fifth, and sixth goals of the season, scoring the game’s first goal and adding two more within 12 seconds of each other in the third period.

Nathan Oystrick and Andre Deveaux also scored for the Wolves, who improved to 7-0-1-0 on the season.

Fred Brathwaite stopped 37 of 38 shots in net for Chicago, including all 14 in the third period.

The Flames’ lone goal was scored by Cam Cunning.

Bill Thomas scored a third-period to tie the game, and San Antonio went on to post a 3-2 shootout victory over Rockford in the IceHogs’ home opener.

Enver Lisin also scored for the Rampage, who are 3-1-0-0 in their last four games.

Rockford, now winless in three straight (0-2-0-1), had goals scored by Troy Brouwer and Kris Versteeg. Both tallies put the IceHogs ahead by a goal, but San Antonio came back on each occasion.

Joel Perrault and Keith Yandle found the back of the net in the shootout, while Rampage goaltender David Aebischer denied four of five Rockford shooters.

Houston scored a pair of third-period goals to rally for a 3-2 win over visiting Lake Erie in the teams’ first-ever meeting.

Aaron Voros and Petr Kalus scored at 8:35 and 14:03 of the final stanza, respectively, turning a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 Aeros lead.

Houston goaltender Barry Brust made it stand up, as he made 10 of his 21 saves in that third period.

Joel Ward also scored for the Aeros, and Erik Reitz picked up a pair of assists.

The Monsters got out to their 2-1 lead on the back of goals by Cody McCormick and Eric Healey, with McCormick’s goal coming just 32 seconds into the contest.